Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Car Sharing Foundation

That's me. Car sharing foundation. Darling son's car died the Tuesday before Christmas. He had it towed to my garage where my son-in-law came and pronounced the words we were dreading: busted timing chain. After much brainstorming and weighing the options darling son (heretofor shall be referred to as DS) had it towed to a repair guy who looked at it and pronounced even worse news. Needs a whole new engine - sprokets are busted too. More brainstorming followed: along with internet searches - for a new/rebuilt engine. Our local auto recycler had one with 114,000 miles on and claimed it was a sweet running thing. Call me blonde, but it wasn't even in a car, how could they know how sweet it ran????
DS called another recycler and they could get one in 2 days that only has 80,000 miles on it and the price was the same. SOLD!
Keep in mind that all this time DS and I have been sharing the use of my 8 yr old jeep. It's taken a lot of compromise and a lot of understanding of each other's priorities and schedules. Yesterday, we drove to the next county in a borrowed pickup truck and picked up the engine - I'm earning my redneck merit badge - which was then delivered by DS to the mechanic's shop. We are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping it is done by Friday afternoon.
In the meantime, everytime I get a turn with the jeep the little gas pump light is on . . . so I have to stand out in the cold, put my debit card into the pump and play gas station attendant only to have DS pick the jeep up at my office the next morning.

If it sounds like I'm whining . . . I'm not. Years ago I learned that you've got to be willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish your goal. You don't have to like doing it, just be willing.
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment