Sunday, December 21, 2008

Teen Challenge

For the past 11 years my family and I have been involved in a performing arts ministry - Cleveland Performing Arts Ministries. A ministry that produces a passion play at a different venue during Lent. In praying about my continued participation I've heard 3 words - "Let it go". It is a familiar thing from my former life that I was clinging to. I'm guessing I've grown all I can in my faith from that ministry and God wants me to move on and grow in different unfamiliar ways.


In looking for like-minded folks to ride motorcycles with, I found CMA - Christian Motorcyclist Assocication. In fact, there is a relatively new chapter in this county - Forgiven, Chapter 961. I attended a few of their monthly meetings and found them to be a group of folks who like to ride, but also love the Lord and are dedicated to spreading the gospel to the motorcycling community (and anyone else who will listen). I took the plunge and joined. In order to fully participate in their activities, I had to "earn my colors". I did this with the support and encouragement of the membership. I proudly wear my "colors", letting everyone know who I ride for and with. I was told that I need to stomp them in the dirt - they look too new and shiny. I figure they won't look that way once I ride in the rain a couple of times - it will wash away the newness!
One of our monthly ministry events is supporting a Christian drug/alcohol rehab center for men - Teen Challenge - by taking dinner to them, fellowshiping with the men, giving our testimonies and listening to theirs. Becasue they preach the Gospel, they receive no state/federal grant $$. Our dinners help stretch their monthly food budget. These men come from all areas of the country. Some of them have never seen snow! For many whose family can't visit because of the distance, we become their family. It is a 4-6 month program at the facility in Lake County, then another 3-4 months at the Cape, in AR. These men (ages 19 - 40) are heroes to me. The program is not easy. They are not just dealing with their addictions but finding their purpose too. They are putting on Christ - looking to Him for the direction their lives will go - holding tight to the promises of the Bible.
Upon completion of the Lake County portion of the program a "graduation" event is held - a group from our CMA chapter tries to attend. Like I said, we become their family and it means a lot to these men to have the support. I went in November. With holidays being different now, it was good to have someplace special to go. This month, the graduation is Christmas Day. Guess where I'll be? You got it. Only 1 man is graduating, but I figure 1 is better than none. There would have been 2, but a young man I sat with last night said he has been "blessed with a 5th contract and an extra month". During this month he will hand write the gospels - all of them - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. We talked about God having something to show him through this endeavor - something BIG.
Our blessings come in seeing the men's faces when we pull in and they realize it's us! Of course, in the summer and a group of motrocycles pull in, who else would it be? (We meet at a designated location and ride in as a group). Also, once these men have gone on to the next phase, some have stayed in touch by writing letters to our chapter address.
Today I would have to say I'm thankful for my CMA family and the opportunity it provides for me to follow God's instructions to "feed my lambs - care for my sheep"

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome opportunity with an amazing organization! That's wonderful that you have found somewhere to get involved, to minister in a way that perfectly suits YOU! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete