Monday, December 22, 2008

The Motorcycle - Miss Behavin'

I've written about the grandma part of my identity, now it 's time you heard the rest of the story. A few years ago I experienced a life changing event that put me in a position where I needed to meet new people, restore my self esteem and expand my horizions. Through work, I met the motorcycle instructor who was beginning to coordinate a basic rider course that would be offered at our local high school. He urged and encouraged me to take the course. I registered telling him he'd have to start with the most very basic instruction, like how to start the bike. He assured me he would, talking to me like I were a three yr old if he had to. He invited me out to watch a Sat riding class on the "range" one Saturday morning - I went. My enthusiasm built as did my confidence as I thought, "I can so do this!".

A friend has a little Honda rebel (Says his GoldWing had a baby) and met me at the high school parking lot with it one evening and gave me some beginner's instructions. This man let me - who never in her life had even sat on a motorcycle - ride his little bike. He mapped out an oval in the parking lot, explained the gears briefly, sat in a folding chair and let me ride!!! Each time I came past him I shouted, "I can do this!" I couldn't believe I was riding a motorcycle. Never got out of 1st gear, but I rode it!

I took and passed the class - 10 women and 2 men in the class! Then I started looking at bikes. Pre-owned bikes were cheaper, but since I didn't know the first thing about maintaining one, I thought it wiser to go with a new one. I set out on Martin Luther King Day (day off work!) and sat on every kind of bike there is in a 50 mile radius of Ashtabula - from Mentor to Erie - Honda, Yahama, Kawasaki, Harley. I had been praying about the decision and I knew that when I sat on THE bike, I would know that it was the "one" - and it would be red. The last place I stopped was in Erie. This was January so they had snowmobiles in the showroom - all the bikes were in a pole barn out back. I told the salesman that I was looking for a bike that I could manage - not too small, but not too large either. He assured he he had just the bike.


I followed him to the pole barn where he moved some bikes around and there she was - a shiny red 2006 never titled Suzuki Boulevard S-40. I sat on her, held her up, squeezed the gas tank with my knees (if I gotta explain, y'all wouldn't understand). After about 15 minutes and asking questions about her (650cc, belt driven, air cooled, single cylinder etc.), I declared it to be the ONE. It felt right from the moment I sat down. They would deliver it Thursday. During the course of the transaction, I found out that the sales manager was the chaplain of the dealerships ride group. He and my salesman promised to pray over my bike before she was loaded on the truck! I went downtown Erie for a burger and a beer to celebrate!

I rode a little in April, but really got serious the middle of May when I did my first bike run! A 100 mile ride promoting safe communities! (in the rain, wearing borrowed rain pants!) By the end of the season I had logged over 4,000 miles on her, done several more bike runs and attended a couple of bike rallys. I indeed have met some of the most interesting people. Some of the nicest people. Some of the most fun people. And some of the most generous people. At one rally, 4,000 bikers paid $5 each to ride in the parade. Do the math. That was to benefit the Shriner's hospital for children.
She looks a little different now. She got a windshield and saddlebags - just like the big bikes! I got rain gear and leather chaps - just like the real bikers!
I changed her oil and put gas treatment in her for the winter. She sits in my garage, covered with a sheet waiting for Spring. If I had a set of French doors, she'd be in my spare bedroom. She quickly became a part of me - an extension of my personality (attitude? what attitude?) - a conversation starter with complete stangers - a means of really experiencing the environment when travelling. How many times have I driven past freshly mowed hay fields, grape vineyards, peony bushes, the lake and only experienced them with one of my senses - I didn't know fresh cut hay smelled so sweet. And to smell the enviroment before you see it . . . as with the grapes and the peonies - it's incredible!
Her name? Oh, yeah. Early in our relationship I found out she has "attitude" - she backfires when I decelerate too quickly. A good friend got me a cool shirt at her favorite thrift shop - Has a Harley with a car-hop type woman and the shirt says, "Miss Behavin". I knew as soon as I saw the shirt, that's what I would name by bike! Next summer I'd like to get her name airbrushed on the gas tank. I will spend these cold winter nights planning our summer adventures! I'll keep ya posted!
To summarize: I compare motorcycle riding to my spiritual life: It's not about the destination - I know where I'm going. It's all about what I experience on the journey.
























No comments:

Post a Comment