Saturday, June 25, 2011

Work on Saturday?

It's rare, but yes, that's what I did today. Only 3 hours. And it's cool, cloudy and dreary outside so I might as well work, right? Besides, it's the fisal year end. My boss thought yesteday's check run was my last for the fiscal year, but I begged him to allow me to do a small run, paying attorneys, security monitoring service, some retirement incentives - things I needed to get off the books by 6/30.

Every year part of my duties in June is to pay/reduce the encumbrances against general fund down to $200,00. A large carryover in general fund negatively impacts our cash carryover balance. I've been doing this for 20 years and for each of those 20 years my treasurer starts to panic around the middle of June - forgetting that I pay May invoices in June. Payment of May invoices lets the large general fund encumbered balance take care if itself for the most part. I then (what I did today) go over the open purchase order list to see which ones can be reduced and/or eliminated. 2 weeks ago the general fund balance was in excess of $600,000. I ran a report before I left which shows the final balance $256,000. There are probably some purchase orders that I could still delete or at least reduce. I put the report on his desk before I left today, so we'll see what he says Monday.

Since yesterday was payday, it's time now to pay my own bills and reduce my bank balance.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment